goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

Master of Crows

Master of Crows - Grace Draven Loved this book! The prose was very different from what I am accustomed to in the PNR genre. I've discovered this year how much I love the "gritty" realism that some authors can create in genres that don't traditionally show that aspect. Master of Crows had it in spades, and so well done. Just the right amount of world building too! Finally, someone who understands that I don't need to understand every damn detail of this world. Give me enough to be really interested without throwing in the kitchen sink as well. There were several aspects that were never explained or even brushed on (history of world, country, Glimmer people, wtf Corruption is in the form of a star and everyone is cool with this?). I didn't need to know any of that, and while I'm interested in the answers, it would have taken away from the story to delve into it. A world like this deserves several books. The mains weren't too shabby either. Silhara and Martise were very complex characters and their motivations were very easy to buy into given the past of each. Relationships are affected by things other than insta-lust, ya know? Draven does a wonderful job of making me feel like I truly understand and like the side characters as well (even Silhara's aunt and the companion who we only see for a few lines each). Overall, so glad I finally read this. After a series of croms that were falling more and more flat for me, this was a welcome surprise. Thank you Vaginal Fantasy!