goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

On Demon Wings: Experiment in Terror #5

On Demon Wings: Experiment in Terror #5 - This is a series that def improves as each book is released. From the first book to this one, both the writing and characters have improved crazily. There are still my usual gripes with this one though... Needs a better editing hand, although my problem is more with grammar as the books go on, and less with flow issues. Some of the "scary" occurrences didn't seem to make much sense in hindsight (this is a systemic issues in all these books, it's best just not to think too deeply about the haunting parts and enjoy the ride). Dex is still improving. I might end up liking him eventually. LOVED seeing lots of Ada! Doesn't look like much of that is going to happen in the next book, but I really liked to see her relationship with Perry develop. Max is a freaking creep. I have been ok with him up until now, but he clearly knows something and has a side game. He is bothering the crap out of me now, and I really want to know what his damage is (especially after having read his and Dex's history in The Dex Files). My big epiphany about this series was after reading the previous book, but I like how the story has naturally evolved to the point where this and the last book didn't have a whole lot to do with EiT. It's more about Dex and Perry dealing with *ahem* personal demons. That being said, we are still getting the scary stuff, just in a different way. None of the plot development feels forced as it so often can in series format. TLDR: Liking this series more with every book I read. This is my first 5-Star for this series.