goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Play by Play (Play Makers #1) - Kate Donovan Usually, I stay far, far away from novellas. There are so few authors who can write a satisfying romance in so few pages. Understandably. I mean, there is a lot of ground to cover, from the meet cute to the (supposed) HEA. However, I thought that Donovan did quite a nice job with Play by PlayI'll admit that I am a sucker for sports roms, but there is one thing that they must get right, or else they annoy me the entire way through: sports lingo. The author must be able to speak with language of the sport. If they can't, it's just better for everyone if they stay away because they make themselves look ignorant of their material. That being said, and as a pretty fanatic baseball and college football fan, I want to say "Thank You" to Kate Donovan for not making my eyes twitch. Jake is the most adorable sports blogger I could imagine. His posts were both hilarious and realistic. Donovan even leaves in the comments section which was interesting to read as well, and added a plot component near the end. The story wasn't rushed, nor was it so full of sex that there was no room for plot. In fact, there is no sex, not on-page anyway. I walked away wanting to read more from this series, assuming that the future books will be flushed out stories, not vignettes. If you like your sports-ball and romance in one package, this is a good book/author to try out.ARC courtesy of Beyond the Page Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.