goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise - Jonathan Hickman, Nick Dragotta "You come face to face with love, and before the sun sets, you've become someone you didn't used to be."If you like some violence and epic world building with your graphic novels, this is a must read.Yeah, I'm hooked. Loved the world building! Apocalypse cometh and the turning of the tide arrives with the Four Housemen. The story begins with the rebirth of Conquest, Famine, and War... But Death is nowhere to be found. While they were being reborn, he stayed alive for his own purposes. Now, both groups are making moves in a game that will either avert the coming End Times, or hasten them.There were a few places I might have liked a bit more explanation (about the different nations for example) but on the whole, I ate East of West like it was candy. There is just something about a good prophecy that draws me in every time. And the artwork was lovely. I say that even about the death and gore parts. Good art is good art, and this art came with a crack-tastic story. Seriously, I got shivers when reading the splash page that read "She lasted longer than you will."I want to read the next one NOW, damnit. I believe that the story has come out in single form, but I'm going to wait for Vol 2. Or try to, at least. Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts.ARC courtesy of Diamond Book Distributors, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.