goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Dead Sexy Dragon - Lolita Lopez Things I Liked:- I think the title was probably the best thing about this novella. Love it!- There was defiantly potential for a good story, had this been a novel and not a novella.- Dragon shifters. Nuff said.Things I Wasn't As Crazy About:Most of my gripes were caused by the short format I think. Like:- While the actual plot itself had potential, it never really went anywhere. Like Cora's big problem which was dealt with in a rather vague way at the end. Stig's group ended up suggesting that it was time to totally change their rules all of a sudden... to better accommodate Stig and Cora I suppose.- There weren't enough details about other plot points like the Knights, or Stigs time in the Marines. That lack of details meant that I didn't care when the Knights showed up or when they talk about Stig's friendship with Cora's brother.- Not enough on the Dragon lore. We're just told he's a dragon. There are some in this organization. They are old and immortal. For some reason when Cora touches Stig in dragon form, he changes, but that's never explained either..The end. - Also, you would think that there would be some time spent describing how Stig looked as a dragon, but I never got a clear picture in my head. I could never even really tell how big he was, cause from the descriptions of his interactions with Cora, he sounded like a man sized dragon, which might be the case, but I felt fuzzy on those details.Overall, I just wish the author had either a) spent more time out of the bedroom to make room for the more plot-based details or b) had written a longer book so we would have a happy blend of both.ARC courtesy of Forever(Grand Central Publishing), via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.