goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Flesh - Kylie Scott I just couldn't seem to get into this book. I thought that what the author was attempting was interesting... Zombieocalypse changing the way people form relationships is a cool concept worth exploring. However, there was never enough time spent with the characters for me to get emotionally invested in whether or not they were able to make it work. Daniel, Finn, and Ali all seems like they would have been really interesting people, had they been *ahem* fleshed out some more. It surprises me that at the end, I really had no major gripes with any of their actions getting on my nerves, seeming out of character, etc (as I have experienced in the past with not well written characters). I just really wanted to know more about them all. Instead we just jumped from action scene to action scene. Hell, the first scene pretty much starts the pace of the book off with Ali almost bashing Daniel in the head before they have to run for their lives. And the whole "drama" subplot near the end could have been totally cut out of the book without any loss to the story. Meh... Would have liked to see the main ideas explored more and the H/H/H rendered better. Will still try more by this author since I LOVED "Lick", but maybe not anymore of this series.