goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Forever Innocent - Deanna Roy "Our baby died on prom night, and nothing was ever the same again."I'll be honest. With a description that started like that, I was expecting Forever Innocent to be much more emo than it was. I was expecting histrionics on a scale only middle schoolers can aspire to. What I walked away with was a deep sense of what losing a baby you didn't expect must do to someone emotionally. Especially when you are just leaving highschool. I know that my high school self would not have coped well with half of what Corabelle and Gavin went through.Both of their reactions to the death of their baby made total sense. They weren't the reactions that you would hope to have in that situation, but realistically... Yeah. Self destruction would rule my mental space for a while, I'm sure. Then, to top it off, if I was Corabelle and dealing with the misplaced guilt and the baby-daddy running off, never to be seen again, on the day of the funeral? I might have a few emotional problems too. There were some really painful scenes in this book, that were incredibly hard to read.Now, for the reasons that this only got a "liked" star rating. One big thing that confused/annoyed me was the non-presence of Corabelle's parents post-Finn. They seemed very involved in both H/H's lives, and then weren't there for their daughter emotionally afterward? It seems like they would have been able to help and see that she needed psychological help. Near the end, we also began slipping into emo territory, but it was only around the last 30 pages. And the ending was... abrupt to say the least. When I saw that this was the beginning of a series, I wasn't surprised. They still have some pretty major issues to work out.My biggest issue though was that I never connected with Corabelle or Gavin. I didn't particularly like or dislike either of them, so it was hard to cheer on their (possible) HEA. The scenes I most connected with were the flashbacks of the events surrounding Finns birth, but this was in a more general way, not specifically because it was those two characters going through these heart-rending moments.Overall, a refreshingly grounded look at two kids who had a kid, lost their kid, lost themselves, and tried to make it work years later. Nothing in their story was easy, and I don't expect it will get any easier, though I am not likely to read the next installment.ARC courtesy of Casey Shay Press, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.