goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Me, Cinderella? - Aubrey Rose I had a whole review written out, and GR ate it so the following are the cliffnotes:Likes:- I liked the voice of the story and I can't put my finger on why. It was almost sparse, but still getting you where you needed to go. Simple but descriptive. - I cried twice, people. Once upon a time, I never cried while reading a book, but those days are long past. Maybe I have grown up enough to understand loss. There were two scenes that pushed my bawling-buttons, and they both dealt with Brynn and Eliot's losses. - Math nerds finding love! I like finding romances that take unconventional leads and create a convincing narrative around them. - There is another book! I must say that normally that might annoy me, but I am excited to continue reading about these two. There is a HEA, but to me there was still a lot up in the air that I want to see resolved.Dislikes:- Lack of detail in some of the math oriented scenes. Wanted more since math has a big part to play in their personal selves and relationship.- My BIG gripe was the switching from third to first. Eliot was written in third, Brynn in first. It was weird as hell. Minor Nitpicks:- Story points that didn't seem to go anywhere or have much meaning, seemingly important people that we spend no time with, time gap near the end where Brynn supposedly "changed" but we aren't shown how or really why, etc.- The text formatting was really annoying to read on my Nook too. I couldn't change the font, and there were randomly bold and italic sections of text. - The formatting of the actual book was a little weird too... Every now and then there was a section of text from Brynn (1st person) that was apart from an actual chapter, but easily could have been part of the normal narrative. It would have made sense as a journal entry, but I don't think it was.TLDR: LOVED this book (aside from some easily over looked hyper-critical gripes) and really want to read the next book about Brynn and Eliot! Not to mention more from this author!ARC courtesy of eXcessica Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.