goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning I love this series. It's been a while since I read it for the first time, but I come back to it in my mind all the time. There are few PNR series that can hold a candle to it, honestly, and they know who they are. There are only two series that have given me a serious reading-hangover. This is one. I couldn't pick up another book for weeks, people. Weeks. That being said, this first book is like most beginnings to a series: meh. Compared to the rest, this is not the one that stands out. But it is where we see most of the main players take the field and events are set in motion. We see Rainbow Mac. We meet Barrons. We see Faeries. We get a glimpse of the darkness that is to come. This is not a light urban fantasy. It gets bleak at times. And I love it.This really is one of those series that you need to read twice; it is written to reward multiple visits. When you first go through it, there are so many ominous allusions to future events that you just ignore them... Bad stuff happens eventually, OK, I get it. But on a second read... You see how incredibly specific some of those hints really are.I had been wanting to re-read this series for months, but couldn't find it in myself to halt everything and devote an extended amount of time to a 5 book series. Cause let's be honest... Until I go through them all, I am not picking anything else up. So thank you Litchick for the buddy read! TLDR: READ IT.