goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Love Left Behind - S.H. Kolee My thoughts on this book are best written out in bullet format... because that is what I wanted to shot through these people by the end.1 - There is almost no freaking conflict in this book. I have no reason to care about these people because everything is so perfect. The first 1/3 of the book is just Jackson and Emmas "awesome" relationship. Even when Emma lies to him about something kinda big, Jackson gets over it in a reasonable fashion. Boring. Not that this isn't a healthy thing, but I don't want to read 150 pages of it. If I hadn't known they were going to break up (from the blurb on the book) at some point, I would have given up within 100 pages.2 - We finally get to the splitsville part, and it almost seemed... anti-climactic. Not to mention that phone call... Emma even said she had doubts about the person she was talking to before it happened, and she didn't think twice about believing what she was hearing. Not even during the 5 year interim. Right. 3 - I cannot believe Emma got fired that damn easily. There was barely probable cause. If she was as awesome as her boss seemed to think, there was no way that should have happened.4 - Jackson is just... I don't know. He's boring. I almost get no personality out of him, so I don't get why Emma likes him other than his looks. He even seems creepy as hell when they get back together and Emma learns about the shrine he built to their relationship. It's weird. In Emma's defense though, she is legit freaked out by it and gets him to redecorate as soon as possible. But still. Weird. 5 - Too. Much. Sex. Tell me it happened in a few sentences as a segue. I don't need to know all the details from every damn encounter.6 - After they meet up again, they get back together waaaaay too quick. Esp considering Emma was under the impression that Jackson had been cheating on her with Claire for their ENTIRE previous relationship. Sometimes, Emma really did seem too-naive-to-live.7 - Which leads into my next problem of her deciding to let the freaking past go... Girl, you think he cheated on you for your entire relationship, but you love him, so its OK somehow? W.T.F. Lost every bit of respect I might have had for her regarding the whole Sean deal.