goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
The Duke's Tattoo (Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #1) - Miranda Davis A little conflicted about this one... The idea/title of this book/series is so intriguing, and I think it could work but not in it's present state. There were so many contradictions that I never got handle on the H/H as people... - The initial idea of the tattoo is comical, but the story itself never is. - Hero is supposedly the most badass of this group of badasses from the war but never acts like it. In fact he seems more whiny than strong. - The Heroine is pretty matter-of-fact and level-headed in most aspects of her life, but then she does the whole tattoo thing which, as the book went on, became more and more improbable for her character. It seriously felt like she should have had nothing to do with that entire scheme, or even thinking/joking about it in the first place.The story started out cute and then by the third chapter became confusing before wading into the whole "she won't marry him even though he wants her to" thing. I did appreciate how Jem struggled with his inability to express his feelings and wishes with Prudence. A man accustomed to action being less able to get his point across in an effective manner was totally believable to me since I've seen it several times with friends. Won't be continuing this series... The next book has a really interesting name/premise, but so did this one and look how that turned out.