goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror) - Karina Halle I'm going through these so quickly I am forgetting to get on GR and marked them as complete. This was def the most well written one so far, although I'm not sure if that is saying a whole lot. The writing style itself has calmed down but the plot issues are still rampant. Snipped plot lines everywhere. I am still confused on if we were dealing with ghosts or zombies in this book, too. And Dex took a nosedive for me in this book. I don't really like his character to be honest. I don't think he treats Perry, or anyone really, with any respect or empathy. There is brusque and then there is Brusque. Perry just keeps falling for his crap, but I think it's just because she doesn't have a support group. She hasn't dated anyone since she graduated college, as far as I can tell she really doesn't have any friends. So far we've only seen her have interactions with her family, outside of Dex and EoT stuff. The short of it is, she needs a life. Then I think she would understand that it isn't normal to routinely be terrified of the person you profess to love. Or at least that the relationship dynamic is unstable. The main reason I don't like Dex, as far as this book is concerned anyway, is because he cheats on Jenn with Perry. We all know emotional cheating as been going on for a while, and in the last book they kissed, but this took it further than I think Perry should be comfortable with. She's the other woman, and she doesn't seem to care too much about it, even though she has been on the other side of that whole situation. But I am going to keep reading because I like the stories, spastic as they are. I haven't read anything quite like that, that wanted to imitate an X-Files atmosphere while having a romantic element as well. This isn't quite urban fantasy. No to mention I like reading indie works, even though they can drive me crazy sometimes with the lack of editing. You can see the author growing as a writer while reading this series. TLDR: Another slightly confused installment of this series where Dex takes a turn for the worst, but I'm gonna keep on reading anyway.