goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Darkhouse - Karina Halle This book on the whole wasn't something I would normally choose, but I can see a lot of potential in the series as a whole. I agree with what I've read about the scary parts being dragged on so long and confusingly that they end up not being scary. Unfortunately that is how every other scene is as well... Even the mundane stuff like taking a break at work turns into a bunch of navel-gazing and I get bored before we are brought back to the action. The heroine herself also made me cringe so many times, but characters who wear their heart on their sleeve do that to me. I'd like to see her gain more confidence and be able to deal with her family, sister and even Dex in a more symbiotic way. It was an interesting character study though, and I couldn't help but wonder if this was the author putting herself as the main character at times. There wasn't really any resolution to how Perry was "seeing" what she was, or anything that happened in the lighthouse "darkhouse". That was disappointing. I was expecting there to be some kind of exploration into that near the end, but nope. Maybe later? So... clean up the writing, tighten up the scary bits, and make Dex less psycho... MUCH less psycho. He's not even appealing at this point. I wanted to tell Perry to run for the hills or try to get him committed, but definitely not start a relationship with him. Creepy.TLDR: While the book could have used a lot of editing, there was enough there to make me want to see if it's worth continuing.