goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
A Local Habitation - Seanan McGuire Gah, this series!! I can't stop reading it, and I love the world, but Toby, dude, your PI skills are prolly the reason you live in such a bad apartment. There were several times I just wanted to bash her over the head with the nearest blunt object, she was being so dense. I blame her for at least three of the deaths just for her pure inability to wise up and ask freaking questions instead of shoving curiosity aside for another day. Ugh.But, I love the world. I mean, any book with Selkies as a side race is going to have my seal of approval anyway, but I love the history and quirks of Faerie and her races that we are shown. The characters are so fun to read about. I think I fell a little for poor Quentin in this one, so glad we got to see him again. Was highly upset when I thought he might die. Not enough Tybalt time, but I do understand that's coming. Also feel sorry for Sylvester because every time something goes wrong Toby pushes them away and avoids Shadowed Hills. It's just so frustrating because while I love the writing and the world, I feel like Toby is just blindly bumbling along most of the time with no clue what she should be doing. Not a confidence inspiring Heroine, but maybe that's the point?? No idea, but still going to read the next book in this series. TLDR: World and characters are cracktastic, but Toby needs some direction.