goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness Thank goodness I'm finally done with this... I am certain that this nearly 600 page book could be summed up nicely in 250 pages. CERTAIN. - I think the author managed to cover what the mains were eating at every meal for the two months or so this story covers. - My take on most of the book: blah blah... DNA infodump... blah blah... History infodump... blah blah... supernatural theory infodump... blah blah... action scene that manages to underwhelm... blah blah... insta-love... blah blah... rinse and repeat, the end.- Not sure that too much actually happened. There was a slow build up for the first 150 or so pages that was relatively promising, and then the story seemed to come and go in fits and starts after that. Overall, it just felt like a lead-in to a series, which it is. Doesn't mean it should feel that way though.- Speaking of the slow beginning, how did we go from a slow building romance to insta-love? I got whiplash from how quickly the tables changed. I literally had to go backwards to make sure I hadn't missed some crucial scene (it was possible... I kept zoning out while reading this).- There were some really random POV switches at a couple of weird moments. There was no warning either, you would just suddenly be in a different persons thoughts. - By the end of this book, I no longer cared about Ashmole 78whatever it was. The mystery book was the only thing keeping the story going, but even that eventually became a footnote.- I hadn't really read the book blurb very carefully because if I had, I wouldn't have been surprised when the love-interest turned out to be a vampire. Hate to say it, but I probably would have stayed away from this book had I realized that... It would have been a good decision.TLDR: Long book with almost no plot and insipid characters. Well written otherwise, if you like rambling narratives that don't really go anywhere. Personally, not going back for more.