goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) - Kristen Ashley Despite the crazy grammar, I really liked the story. The grammar was atrocious though... Like, truly horrid. I really wish she would hire a/get a better copy editor, because that would put this book in a different category for me. Instead of being pulled out of the story constantly by the weird sentence structure and grammar, I could have stayed in the moment the author was creating and connected with the H/H more. The reason I was ok with most of it was because I could see where the author was going with how she wrote... Very casual, conversation I would expect to hear people actually say, which is not always is rarely grammatically correct. Just needed a heavy editing hand to chop some stuff out, rearrange other things, and in general tighten the story framework up. Example of the bad grammar:" I had found, through the backdoor leading from the utility room that Max shouted through the bathroom door was my way to find him when I finally 'fucking got ready', that Max's house butted up to the gradual incline covered in pine and aspen but, around the side and up, there was a barn buried in the trees."Excessive use of the "then" and cutting people off... "Max -", "Nina - ", I - ", "But - ", etc, etc, etc... etc... Also descriptives in threes.The only sensible thing Niles says is pointing out a really alpha-hole objectification of the heroine: "I lost it and you found it and now it is yours?". Thank you for pointing out the ridiculousness of that statement (made by the HERO). Don't think it was meant the way I took it, but I'm so glad that SOMEONE said it.