goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne I know that a lot of people dislike this last book of the trilogy, but I can't agree... The entire series is about rising from oppression. Revolution is dirty. Grim. Messy. Heartbreaking. It's not pretty or wrapped up in neatly tied bows. The arc you see Katniss go through was, honestly, more than I expected of this series when I started it and in a good way. I really cannot imagine a reason that this wasn't the perfect cap to it all. It's terrible and disheartening but in the end, there is a ray of light. Katniss and Peeta still deal with the nightmares of the revolution and the arenas, and that is how it should be, but they are both able to keep living. And they are living in a world they helped create. This is the resolution to the buildup of the past two novels. There had to be a revolution, but Katniss was never a natural or willing leader. I never felt betrayed by characterization in the finale. I am also more than willing to admit that I cried when Katniss finally began mourning Prim with that damned cat. Beautiful in it's symmetry with respect to the preceding two books, I cannot help but feel deeply satisfied with it's conclusion.