goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

Preservation (Preservation, #1)

Preservation - Rachael Wade Ryan and Kate are that couple that are always either together or breaking up, in a constant state of flux. And their reasons for "ending" their relationship always had a solid basis in reality. They are both volatile people who let their emotions tun their lives. Unfortunatly, even after they make semi-sane decisions to leave the other, they end up back together every time. For no reason that I could understand. Their issues were never solved. It was like they just got tired of not being together, so they forgot why they broke up. Now, like I said, I know people like this in real life, and it is utterly exhausting to be around them. So I sure don't want to read about it. Apparently this is a series, but I just don't see this ending as a HEA since it was just following the pattern of getting back together after a legitimate breakup (and Ryan being a total freaking ass), except this time he put a ring on it. I just don't buy it.

Other than that I liked the writing style, and would like to see what the author could do with more logical problem solving. Haven't decided if I want to read the next one or not. Despite the major issues I had, I still enjoyed reading this book.

Copy courtesy of Rabbit Hole Press, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.