goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

What Not To Bare

What Not To Bare - Megan Frampton So, the terribad cover aside, my walk away from this book was how absolutely adorable the H/H were, especially Charlotte. David was cute too, but only when he was interacting with Charlotte. When he was in solo scenes, I wasn't as crazy about him for some reason. Charlotte's fashion sense was definitely one of the larger plot points in the story, and Ms Frampton did a wonderful job pulling together the reasons Charlotte chose to dress the way she did. Charlotte's personality also seemed to just pop off the page, so you can't help up like her.

I had a few gripes, like how their ::ahem:: intimate time was so dragged out. I can get into the sexy scenes of some authors, but for some reason, with Charlotte and David, I just wanted to get back to the rest of the story, and the sexy times just would not stop coming. We also don't get to see David's silver tongue, since most of the time we see him around Charlotte and he loses it. I would have liked to see his diplomatic skills instead of just being told about them.

I've got to say that one of my favorite parts was near the end when David shows Charlotte the piece of cloth used to make a sari. It just seemed to perfect, that OF COURSE they would live there! She can dress in whatever crazy colour combinations she wants!. That was a VERY slight spoiler but I wanted to hide it so people could also have a pleasant little surprise like I did!

ARC courtesy of Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.