goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Hard to Handle - Jessica Lemmon So, on the one hand I really liked this book. The H/H had some rough emotional baggage (Aiden winning, hands-down, but Sadie's isn't pretty either) and their relationship goes through some bumps. Not the least of which is Aiden breaking it off for no good reason what-so-ever. More on that later. I loved the voice, the writing, the motorcycles. I loved that Sadie was a driven woman, and was (mostly) unapologetic about that. I loved that in their relationship Aiden was the one who was more in touch with his feelings and where he saw them going. So much so that he just doesn't know how to deal with the "let's back off a little" speech, other than assuming that things must be over. Yeah, gung-ho kinda guy.

BUT there was some crazy sauce that also drove me insane.

1 - I never understood the reason Aiden had to break things off to begin with. Something about... Not upsetting his mother with change? For some reason he had never told his family he was divorced (his problem), but that doesn't mean that he had to totally cut out on Sadie. Why couldn't he have just said that they needed to lay off a bit cause he was moving to Oregon but they could keep in touch while he dealt with family stuff? Why???? No idea. None at all.

2 - Sadies. MF'ing. Family. Are they for real? I mean... Obviously this is a work of fiction... But seriously? So, imagine the situation for a quick sec. You're engaged to a guy you've been with for two years. While you are engaged, this guy falls for your step-sister (that you don't have a great relationship with anyway), and before even bringing this little fact up to you asks your dad for permission to marry your step-sister. So this, in my mind, makes the ex-fiance and sister world-class assholes anyway, but then to make matters worse, your entire family thinks you should just forgive and forget. Act like it's all fine. When Sadie finds this a bit of a hard thing to do, she is berated for it. And Sadie ends up thinking that she is the one that acted badly. W.T.F. Maybe this is just a abnormal reaction that is coming from me, because I have no problem with cutting people (aka assholes) out of my life when I realize that they are... well, assholes. Nobody has time in life to deal with that kind of crap. So, in my mind, Sadie should have at the very least not felt like they (fiance and co) were the wronged-parties. At. The. VERY. Least. At the most, I would have cut those people out of my life so hard it would be like I had entered witness protection. That scene where the sister and fiance were getting irritated that Sadie wasn't falling all over herself with joy because "they" were pregnant wouldn't have happened because I wouldn't have been there. Have a nice life... But maybe that is just me...

So, yeah. Partially hair-pulling-insane, and partially really good. Might be willing to try this author again, but only if there isn't any of that family craziness.

Copy courtesy of Forever (Grand Central Publishing), via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.