goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
No Greater Love (Pascal Trilogy #1) - Katherine Kingsley Oh, three-star reviews. You are so hard to write. While I liked some elements of this book, the story and characters as a whole just did not work for me. The villains were really villainy. The good-guy mains were absolutely adorbs. The plot moppets were totally huggable.

One thing I was not expecting were the rape-centric plotlines. I think there were more main characters effected in some way by rape than there were those not. Rape not being a subject I like suddenly introduced into my romances, this greatly influenced my enjoyment of the story as a whole, so take that how you will.

You know how some books have walls of text? This book had walls of dialog. Repetitive dialog. This unfortunately made the book a chore to read after about the halfway point. A good hundred or so pages could have been chopped as being unnecessary and redundant. There were also several typos, which was surprising considering this is a re-release (originally published in 1992) but I guess that comes with translating it into e-book form.

I can see where some readers might like this book, but it just was not my cuppa.

ARC of new release version courtesy of Diversion Books, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.