goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans
Unbalanced - Kate Douglas Honestly, I have no idea how to even rate this, let alone review it... I finally landed on rating as to its "entertainment" factor... Which it totally had. This isn't quality literature or anything, but I sometimes find that sci-fi/fantasy rom can be just so wtf-awesome. The bad guys name is Demonikus! Come on in, guys, the crazysauce is fine!

The story follows a girl named Addie who inadvertently gets mixed up with two demons(?). The worldbuilding is not that stellar, so I'm not sure what the point of their threesome relationship is yet in the grand scheme of things. And who knows! Maybe there is no point. This genre can be like that sometimes. Like how we know nothing about Addie beyond the fact that she lost her job and thinks gamers are losers (she almost lost me there, won't lie). That's it. Everything else we know about her is what is going on in the present. We don't even know what "Addie" is short for. But it's OK! Cause there is so much going on that makes you say "whhhaaa?" that you don't even realize the weird lack of detail and big ol' time jumps til the end.

This is the first in a series of novellas. I happen to have the "boxed set" of ebooks from NetGalley, and I'm not sure how much more of them I am going to read. Think I'll wash my reading palate with something else before continuing.

Copy courtesy of Beyond the Page Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.