goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

Song of Scarabaeus

Song of Scarabaeus - So in the end I *did* like this book. I'm writing this over a week after I finished it so this it's bullet time:- I didn't have a huge problem with the idea of slavery that was introduced in this world, mostly because it was just an element of their life. Some people treat the serfs like slaves, non-people, while others are uncomfortable with that. - That little bitch of a commander deserved his disgusting death. Agreed with Finn on that one.- Speaking of Finn... Didn't get him. He was almost a non-entity to me for all the personality he seemed to display. A few angry moments, some take charge-ness near the end, a hazy history as what amounted to an assassin mercenary. That was about all I got.- Edie, meanwhile, made me want to slap her all over the place at multiple points. She never seemed to understand how important she was to the mission... If they treat you badly, just refuse. What can they do? Hurt Finn? Then you *really* aren't going to cooperate. Pfft, whatever.- Scarabaeus... Woah. That was Little Shop of Horrors on cocaine steroids. Freaking as hell, especially when the plants... Did what they did. Shudder.- In the end though, I'm not interested enough in the characters that I want to read the next book and find out what they do about that whole implant thing. Curious, yes. But in a cliffnotes kinda way.