goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

Rises the Night (Gardella Vampire Chronicles Book 2)

Rises The Night - Colleen Gleason Pros: - After finishing this book, I immediately looked up the rest of the series. I wanted to know if the 5th was the last and I was not surprised that it is. I felt like there was definite movement of the plot and character revelations that you just don't see from open-ended series a lot of the time (I'm looking at you Charlaine Harris). I love moving forward as opposed to standing in place.- Learning more about Sebastian was... interesting. He is a hard character to like even before you learn more about his past. Now I'm finding it close to impossible but looking forward to the next books. On the other hand, not nearly enough Max time. Cons: - The one sex scene felt extraneous. There was really no reason to even have it in the context of the plot and it felt shoved in there just to have one.- This heroine continues to annoy me in how TSTL she is. I really cannot see how the characters around her have any faith that she is this amazing Venator. She seems to have common sense only 10% of the time and that tends to be at the end of the book when the author has no choice but to write her that way (although that is a bit of a stretch at places in this ending...). Max describes her as "headstrong" and "naive" and I don't find these as being strong enough words to describe her most of the time.- Also, I feel like a lot of the problems they came across in this book would be solved if people would just speak to one another. This goes for Victoria's character too. I don't think that she would take some of the risks she does if someone would sit her down and explain some facts of their world to her. What was she doing that whole year in London anyway? Because obviously no one was filling her in on important details of their enemies.