goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

Reflected in You (Crossfire Trilogy Series #2)

Reflected in You - Sylvia Day So... I was reading this book. I was enjoying it, I would even say. I mean... Yeah. There are some crazy roller-coaster moments. And there were clearly plot happenings that were extremely stage-left that ended up out in the open in the last 50 pages. That's ok. The relationship between these two screwed up people is a lot of push and pull and give and take. BUT... Really, I cannot emphasize this BUT enough...That does not make up for the last, oh, 20 lines of this book. They literally made me go "lol wut". Literally.Part of Eva's baggage, as learned from the last book, was that she was rapped repeatedly by her step-brother as a kid. He was eventually brought to court, but is not in jail. What we find out in the last 50 pages that, until that point, Eva had been unaware of: --Nathan(step-brother) finds out that Eva is now in NYC (partially due to the publicity around her and Gideon's ship) and begins stalking her. -- He goes to her step-father and Gideon to try to blackmail them for money (he has pictures and videos or something equally implausible). --Neither cave to their demands SO HE ATTACKS EVAS ROOMMATE. WITH A BASEBALL BAT. This makes sense. Somehow...Anyway, Gideon decides to take care of this problem on his own. He goes to a party with his ex-fiance (he's publicly dumped Eva, not telling her any reasons behind his asinine actions), stages a fire, leaves the building to walk fifteen minutes to Nathan's hotel (owned by Gideon... I honestly don't think these books have been in a building that is NOT owned by him yet), STABS HIM IN THE HEART somehow avoiding anything messy like blood on his shirt, then calmly walks back to the party, alibi in tact. I know... You're thinking that there is no way I have made it through 2.9 books of stuff THIS CRAZYSAUSE at this point. Trust me... although the previous plot nonsense was angsty, it was not this insane.But, wait. There's more!Eva finds all this out from a POICE OFFICER ASSIGNED TO THE CASE. Yes, you read that right. The officer just straight up tells Eva everything, including why/how the police are pretty sure that Gideon killed Nathan, but that since Nathan was a asshole anyway... Meh, we're dropping the case. Kthxbai!I just... I'm sputtering again... I mean, this whole ending made me seek out my husband, and explain it all to him just to make sure I wasn't going crazy about how WTF all this was.THEN!!Eva, understandably upset, goes to Gideon's apt to find out if all of this is true... He basically confirms it, and what is her reaction? TO SAY THAT IT'S ALL OKAY!! IT'S ALL OKAY, PEOPLE!! And...THEY'LL GET THROUGH IT TOGETHER!!!They will get through him KILLING A GUY JUST 'CAUSE... TOGETHER!I just... have... no words anymore. No words... I am probably never going to read the last book in this series due to that overwhelming WTF moment. Really though! This was a normal story until all of that... CRAZY! Ugh... So... UGHHGHGHGKYGOIUB!The reason I am leaving it as a 3 star is that I actually did like the story until all that crazy happened. It would have been a 4, but really... I had to knock it down at least one for the homicidal hero.