goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

Lying Season

Lying Season - Karina Halle This was the book where I finally figured out why I enjoy these books and continue reading them. Perry's narrating voice is very casual, and as a result the random things she goes through make more sense. What I mean is, there are a lot of small things in these books that have nothing to really do with the overall plot. Hell, there are even major plot issues that aren't fully or partially explained. But because all of this is just happening to and around Perry, the casual way the story can meander works. Life is like that, you don't always get the full story on things that happen to you, or the people in your life. You don't always understand experiences you are involved in, but that's ok because it's just life. That is the flow style of these books. And it SO works. Normally these are things I would rant about, but... I just can't. Liked Dex more in this book. I guess I can see how conflicted he is, but I also feel like his character is not the same one that we met in the first book. He is a lot mellower now and I am not sure if that is an intentional character arc or an attempt on the authors side to make him more palatable. His actions at the end made total sense to me, and Perry's reaction to what he did made sense as well. Pride and Fear... I really appreciated that while Jenn was not written as a character we particularly like (to put it mildly), she also isn't portrayed as an absolute, raving, slut bitch. Seen that way too many times in novels... She was a person with her own problems, and she even had some sweet moments with Dex, but it didn't make up for her underhandedness and treatment of the people around her. It just made her a more relatable character, if not exactly likable.I still say that Perry needs to get a life outside of Dex and EiT. But it is also amazing to see how she has changed her attitude from the first book to now. Both about herself as a person to how people perceive her. It makes me feel so good for her that I want her to use this new found self-worth and go create a life (and get out of her parents damn house). But I know that's not going to happen. It does speak to how much I like about her character now, though, that I want a fictional person to do well for themselves, ha.TLDR: This book had little to do with the EiT show, but it worked well that way. Life, ya know? It was also my favorite... Until I read book 5.