goldendarter

The Golden Darter

My Life Through Books

Middle School was a weird mix of classics and Star Wars. I was obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux to the point of the book falling apart. I also discovered that while I love Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters can go hang. As for Star Wars... I've read almost every meta-verse book that was published up until the New Order cannon. I can still go into detail and recite storylines of a few beloved books. Hence, my nerd life began.

High school was very paranormal, vampire, scifi, etc. I would literally go online and search for book series that concerned vampires and read everything on the list. We are talking Anita Blake, Charline Harris, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Tanya Huff, Steven King, etc. This was before they sparkled, ya'll. Early college was philosophical and political theory for school, and mainstream fiction in my personal time. Wicked, Life of Pi, Memoirs of a Geisha. These are the 3 books that pushed me into my next phase, mostly because of how ambiguous I felt about them, and their questionable endings.

Late-mid college I was introduced to LaVyrle Spencer by way of Hummingbird courtesy of a gripe session with my Mom about how depressing the books I had been reading lately were. I've never looked back and have been hooked on the romance genre ever since. I've read and loved a ton of LaVyrle Spencer (who is a little hit and miss), Judith McNaught (of the rapetastic 80s era of romance), and Georgette Heyer (who writes in the vein of Austen). More recently I've discovered the joys of contemporary authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Lately I've been trying to read more non-fiction. I really do enjoy learning about subjects that interest me, but non-fiction can feel like work sometimes. So I fall back to romance. You just can't go wrong with knowing that there will almost always be a happy ending.

Playing Dirty
Jennifer Echols
Searching for Someday
Jennifer Probst
Mara TP
Ming Doyle
The Quest
Susan Kearney
Play by Play (Play Makers #1)
Kate Donovan
Mrs Ronnie The Society Hostess Who Collected Kings
Sian Evans

For Love of Lacey: A Loveswept Classic Romance

For Love of Lacey: A Loveswept Classic Romance - Sandra Chastain This was just a really awkward book. The writing style was incredibly disjointed. For instance, a character would describe a scene or a person we had met in a way that would not make sense considering the event/person we had been introduced to. This happened continuously throughout the book. Tyler keeps referencing the "joy" that Lacey has brought into his life, but I honestly never saw an example of this. Lacey once says that Tyler and Lacey's mother are kindred spirits, a remark that was so out of the blue that I had to go back and read the previous scene to try and discern where she had gotten that idea from. I never figured it out. Those are just a few examples I highlighted, there were more that I just passed over, especially closer to the end.

The dialog was unbelievably over-the-top, an unrealistic idea of how "southerners" speak. We had everything from multiple uses of "Lordy", to "Whahoo", to "Sweet Suffering Je-housh-a-phat" and "Horsefeathers". Every time a character used that over-exaggerated speech I literally rolled my eyes. I live in the Deep South, and I have never met anyone speak like these people did.

Every single character felt like a caricature, and not just the "goofy" side characters that were in Lacey's "family". Add to that Tyler and Lacey not sitting down to get to know each other until well after the midway point of the book, and only then touching on the subject of Tyler having been married to Callie, Lacey's best friend... Yeah.

I really wanted to like this book because of the set-up, but the whole thing was just awkward.

Note: This book is a repub from 1988, which explains why Tyler can't call Lacey when her family's phone service is cut off. No cell phones.

ARC courtesy of Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.